Thursday, December 31, 2009

Another Check on the List of things to do in my life.


(Okay quick disclosure: In spain at midnight New Years Eve they end the year/begin the year by eating 12 grapes, one for each 'dong' of the clock. Puerta del Sol is where the big DONGING clock is. It would be the equivalent of Times Square.)

Last night I fulfilled a dream of mine in the best way possible. One of my life goals was to Eat grapes in Puerta del Sol on New Years Eve. You know.... like the Mecano song.

However, since I will be spending NYE with Javi's family and eating grapes with them this year I thought that SOL was not possible. WELL it was. We went to the practice round on the EVE of New Years Eve, aka Dec. 30th, aka last night.

It was rainy and cold and not really NYE, but I am completely satisfied with the event. Although we could not hear the gonging of the clock over the shouts of the crowd, we chowed down on approx. 12 grapes in approx 12 seconds and then we threw the remaining grapes at innocent bystanders in the crowd.

The plus side of going on the eve of new years eve is that there was probably 1/4 of the amount of stumbling drunks and 1/2 the amount of people that will show up there tonight. As Tania (my roommate) put it "It was like the very happy unbirthday, but for New Years." I feel like we beat the system. I get to celebrate NYE with the family of Javi and go to Sol, both in the same year. Magical.

So thats that story. As usual, I promise pictures will come. Javi ended up going home with my camera so I have to wait to see them as well.

Onto my next life dream: A mission trip to Africa.
This is the clock:

No comments: