Monday, October 29, 2012

St. Kateri Tekakwitha






Finally.  After living 29 years with a almost saint patron, Kateri has finally been canonized!  Last Sunday was the canonization of my patron and I couldn't be more excited.  For a while I had deliberated actually going to Rome, but I decided it would be a bit wiser economically to celebrate it here at home.



We had a little Kateri Tekakwitha Canonization get together.  We dressed up in indigenous garb, at least what they taught us about in grade school and had lots of corn snacks, like popcorn, candy corn, corn chips, corn puffs, and corn dogs.  We figured that lienenkugel was the most appropriate beverage. 






Kateri was finally eligible for sainthood after her latest miracle.  In 2006 a five year old boy named Jake Finkbonner was playing basketball when he cut his lip.  It became infected with a flesh eating bacteria and within days he was on his deathbed when a priest, knowing of his native american descent, suggested that his family pray to Kateri.  Things looked grave and the family was talking of his organ donation, when suddenly he recovered.  His cure from the infection has been deemed medically inexplicable and is the miracle that allowed Kateri to become a Saint.  Finally.

While I was not able to go to the canonization in Rome, I hope to travel to La Crosse, WI where I have heard there is a beautiful shrine to her.  I am also lucky that I have an amazing friend (Ellen)  who was fortunate enough to be in Rome for the canonization and is sending me a prayer card from the ceremony. 

YAY for Kateri!!!


1 comment:

M Weisse said...

Looks like a fun way to celebrate. Glad you finally got your Saint!